Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bowral bonanza - a pictorial

So on Monday we had a public holiday - great stuff, cause we don't have to work. Since it was such a nice day, we decided to head out to Bowral in the Southern Highlands to explore the area (i.e to eat as much as possible).
Since the Porsche has been so neglected lately, we volunteered, our of the kindness of our hearts, to take her along for the ride...which i think was Jo's favourite part of the day. It was great fun, speeding along the motorway - sun shining, wind in our hair, music in our ears, Vogue in my lap, watching the green hills roll by...what an idyllic picture I've painted. Jealous much?


Me in the Porsche!
We got to Bowral in record time, with Maria and Peter closely behind us, and strolled down the main street. There were a ton of places to eat and shop, but we decided to head out of town to an old inn called Briars Inn, where they do a great pork roast, which we enjoyed for lunch! Plus delicious, creamy mashed potato, pumpkin, salad, damper...it was so yummy.

Jack and I, all rugged up
And again outside the Briars Inn



Jack discovering the magic of crayons over lunch



Maria and Jo


Me and Pete (he looks thrilled to be alive doesn't he?)


After a huge and satisfying lunch, we went back out into the sunshine (though it was still freezing) and wondered around the property. They had an outdoor deck with a huge fire going which was nice, and a playground that I enjoyed. I mean Jack. That Jack enjoyed.

Jack learns that standing to go down the slippery dip doesn't really work. A valuable lesson indeed.


The tunnel of lurrrrrve baby...Jack's checking out them girl chidden right now...


There was one swing, which i monopolised. Children lined up for a turn, staring at me reproachfully, but i showed no weakness.


After Jack and I grew tired of the playground...actually, only I grew tired of the playground. He could have stayed all day. Sadly, he has now learnt the word 'more'. Which means he was able to make it very clear he wanted 'more' slippery dip', 'more' swing. More more more. More. More. *sighs* Anyway, we headed back into town and browsed around some more, before deciding we could do with some dessert. I was on a quest for scones - which were bloody harder to find than you'd expect in Bowral! Every cafe in the place should be serving scones as far as i am concerned, because, hello, it's a country town staple. A Bowral is a country town. Right? It is, right?


We finally located some scones, so Maria and I shared them, along with melt in your mouth apple crumble, another favourite of mine. Jack found exercised his right to search other patrons handbags while they weren't looking, which amused me, but not so much them. He tried to get away with it by being cute and waving 'buh bye' as he left his destruction trailing behind him, but alas, it didn't always work. We let the warmth of our coffees and teas and hot chocolates seep through our veins, before realising it was getting on, and we should head back. We said our goodbyes to Maria and Peter, and Jo and I made one last stop before the drive home, to a lookout nearby.


I will precede this caption by saying that both myself AND Maria made is clear that it was going to be COLD in Bowral - but he scoffed at us, told us he was from New Zealand, and Bowral couldn't possible compare. Ladies and gentleman, i give you - freezing cold Jo. And i didn't say 'I told you so' or anything!

(HA, as if. I taunted him with 'I told you so's' all day. Hands in the air if you love being right! Ooh, ooh, me!!)

May i present....Bountiful Bowral!


It was well and truly time to leave after that, so we headed back to Sydney - encountering, of course, terrible traffic and angry drivers along the way. I think Jo may have been one of those angry drivers. But as the sun set and the clouds rolled in over the farmland, we both agreed it had been a very good day indeed.




In other news - we have finished Prison Break! And the ending??? WHY?? WHY I ASK YOU?? I devoted hours and hours to this series for THAT ending?? I won't go on and on about it. But WHY?? WHY I ASK YOU??

Anyway, we need something new to watch - suggestions welcome.

1 comment:

  1. The Bowral Cafe on Bong Bong Rd has the best scones :)

    & it IS a freezing place. Today was really blizzard like. :) Next time you're down you should check out some of the bookshops - they're excellent and the place is renowned for some of the asntique shops.

    Erin=)

    ReplyDelete