Sunday, May 16, 2010

On the move

We've known for a little while that we would need to move in the next month or so, so we've been busily looking for a new apartment and this week - we found one! Even more exciting - it's right across the road from where we live now! Which makes it easy to move, and means we can say in an area we like. So that's that problem solved. Hopefully we'll be settled in by next weekend, so I'll be MIA until the Internet connection is back up and running.



In other news, we saw Iron Man 2 on Tuesday. It was OK. I mean i enjoyed it, it was just totally too over the top for me. There were times when i was actually rolling my eyes. I know it's a super hero movie and all, but I've seen plenty of those - in fact I've seen plenty of fantasy/sci-fi movies in general - and it's a rare thing for me to think yeah, this really is a stretch, even for my imagination. It just felt like everything came to him too easily. Discovering a new element? No problem. Give me ten. Fighting off the ultimate bad dude (after kicking the butts of an army of droids just moments before)? Easy peasy. He was polished off in under two minutes. These are two of about 50 highly improbable plot lines, which wouldn't bother me if there was at least some attempt to convince me that any of it was plausible.




The rest of our group really enjoyed it though, so maybe its just me. There were lots of things to like about the film - Robert Downey Jr was fabulous as always, and the supporting cast was good. Even Scarlett Johansson, whom i normally find very bland. The best thing about Iron Man for me is the dialogue, and i got plenty of laughs, same as the first one. And i do like the little Iron Man/Pepper love story thingy, they seem to have good chemistry. I just couldn't quite get behind the storyline, right from the start.




On Thursday we went to see a video company called Soda Films, which we'll potentially use for our wedding. They seem more reasonably priced than some of the others we've seen (maybe because they are one of the most popular), and you get a lot from the package. Plus, they seemed like very nice people, and you are allowed to be very involved in the end result, which i like. They are the top contender so far. In other wedding news, I'm really into lanterns right now. I'm having a vision of the reception room being filled with them. We'll see.




Our weekend was filled with rugby games (go Waratah's!!!), running around picking up keys for our new place, a very rowdy housewarming, and moving. And reading. I'm reading an excellent book called The Secret History, by Donna Tartt (i know, unfortunate last name). I can't believe i haven't read this before now actually, since it's been out for years. It's about a group of college friends who get mixed up in a way of thinking and living that begins to break the boundaries of morality. Great writing and a tense plot line - enjoying it so far.




Coming up this week - moving, moving and more moving. And Robin Hood on Tuesday night, cause i love epic movies, and Cate Blanchett's in this one. Hello, what more could you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment