Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sleep, come claim me. Cause i'm bloody tired.

It feels as though this week has flown by - tomorrow night we are off to Adelaide for the weekend with Dave, Mel, Leah and Chris, to go wine tasting in the Barossa Valley. I'm sure we will have many other fine adventures too, and you shall here all about them upon our return. My main concern about this trip is that we're flying Tiger Airways, whose anal-retentiveness about every single thing is totally putting me off, despite the cheap fares we scored. Hopefully there will be no hiccups, but with our little circle, you never can tell.




So, this morning i got up at 5.45am (no that is not a typo) because i was babysitting Jack all day, and had to be there early to get started. I will pause a moment here to shout out to Rochelle in NZ who suggested i could blog tonight about my insights into babysitting, which made me laugh only because i generally offer no insight whatsoever into anything. But, Rochelle, i will say this - I was absolutely thrilled to discover that he had already done a morning poo by the time i got there, which meant the likelihood of me having to change a gross, disgusting, smelly nappy was very slim. Thank you Jesus, for sparing my gag reflexes on this occasion.




Jack is a very easygoing kid, so there were no dramas. Morning snacks were consumed, he went down for his nap without complaint and was asleep within a few lullabies, he got up and ate his lunch...the hardest thing is actually his energy. Running, jumping, throwing balls, being thrown in the air, hide and seek...also, if i never have to read The Very Hungry Caterpillar again, it will not be soon enough. I swear i think i know it off by heart..."In the light of the moon, a little egg lay on a leaf..."




He is currently obsessed with this male toy action figure doll that he refers to as 'The Man". When you ask him what The Man's name is, he says "Man." Naturally. This obsession means that The Man has to do everything with you, no matter what it is. So, if Jack has a shower, The Man must also have a shower. If Jack has a nap, The Man also has a nap. If Jack eats, The Man also sits in a chair and eats. If Jack has his nappy changed, The Man also has his nappy changed. For those wondering, yes, that does involve pulling down The Man's pants and pretending to change his nappy. And if you're disturbed by that, spare a thought for me - i actually had to do it.




It's much more amusing now that he is actually talking so much - it makes interacting with him a lot of fun. Though he finds the strangest things funny - for example, we do this thing where i pretend to sneeze - 'Ahhhchoo!'.




Sorry, did you think there was more to that? Yeah, no. But he thinks it's a hoot, and will proceed to also sneeze, and laugh hysterically. We'll do this maybe 5 or 6 times in a row at least. Just sneeze at each other. He also loves to pretend to do 'ninna', which is the Italian word for taking a nap. So he will have me lie on the couch, and then lie next to me, and then have The Man lie on the other side, and sometimes Monkey too, if he's in the mood for Monkey, which sometimes he is and sometimes he isn't. And we'll all just lie there, pretending to sleep. Over and over again. Maybe i indulge the kid too much. I really can't help it. Parents are there to set the boundaries - Godmother's are there to be awesome and fun. Besides, it melts your heart when he looks at you and says 'I love you LaLa' (cause he can't quite say my name properly yet), and you know he actually means it. Or when he has a big grin on his face for no other reason but that you've just walked through the door. I mean. Come on. Y'all know it's true.




Anyway, we had fun. I'd better go pack some clothes for the weekend, or I'll get in trouble for doing everything at the last minute again. What can i say, it's just how i roll man....oh yeah, i finished The Lost Symbol, which was...pretty good, not great, and not as good as The DaVinci Code in my opinion. So I'm onto a new book which is called Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. It's about a couple of magicians living in 19th century England, basically. That's the short synopsis - in fact, the book is over 900 pages long, so I'm pretty sure other stuff happens. It's won a lot of awards...supposed to be good, so i thought i'd give it a go. Adios amigos!

1 comment: