Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Spot of Racing

We've been busy moving house the last week and a half (yes. yes it does take that long.), so i haven't had time to write at all about any of the fun things we were doing pre-move. But we're settled in now, thank goodness. Moving really is a pain in the ass.





A few weeks ago, (back when Sydney was sunny) we went to the races. The Autumn Carnival is extremely popular. There's always that ONE horse that gets everyones attention - this year it was Black Caviar, and yes, he did win. But the odds were too high to bother betting on him. No, we're risk-takers (i.e. the ones who lose all their money in one foul swoop). But it started out OK. The sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky, and champagne, i knew, was just waiting for to be consumed.









We put on our Sunday best - and looked damn snazzy if you ask me. Traditionally on Derby Day at the Autumn Carnival you dress in black and white, and who were we to buck the trends?








Turnsie and I wasted no time studying the form guides, as any serious punters would. We spotted some potential winners in no time...









....so we headed over to the pavilion to get our bets on. Let me tell you ladies, smelly gentlemen abound in these places. But i blocked my nose, slammed my cash down on the counter, and spent the next several hours LOSING ALL MY MONEY!!! I mean! How was it possible that i picked NOT ONE WINNER!! Admittedly, my methods were questionable. For example, i quickly found that just because a horse had a pretty name, it didn't mean it would win the race. Or come second or third, for that matter. Nor would a horse being ridden by a jockey who's colours i liked. Apparently there's more to it than that. Who would have known?










Some amongst us were lucky though. Jo raked in the big bucks...











...and Turnsie? Well he was happy with his 20 bucks. Onya Turns. (p.s. hold it the right way up next time.)









Here, we see one of the winning horses that i DIDN'T bet on:











...but i kept my chin up and enjoyed the sunshine anyway.
















Actually, it may have been the booze (and not the sunshine) that kept me cheerfully opening my purse all day long, despite my losses...and i should point out that i did have a good chance of winning a tidy little sum earlier in the day had i NOT listened to my old friend Turnsie's "advice". There was a race in which there was only one female horse running. In solidarity, i decided I'd back her for the win, despite the bad odds. Until Turns told me that history was against me, with filly's historically not winning their races if they're the only female running. So i didn't place my bet, and she won. Thanks a lot Turns. At least you had the grace to look sheepish. BAH!








So - we didn't come away winners but we had good fun. And now that we're moved in life can go back to normal, thank goodness.



3 comments:

  1. Love how Turnsie gets the blame for you bad luck! LOL! And I agree, picking colour and cute names should absolutely guarantee a winning horse. Never worked for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Readers,

    It had been over twenty years since a filly had won the Derby and in the interest of friendship I offered this info to Ornella.

    You can only imagine how I cringed when the horse hit the front. And the fear which seized me when it won. Knowing full well the fury which I would be forced to endure for the rest of the day.

    But I am sure you are all aware any tip or advice recived in the bookmakers ring should be treated with care. Particuarlly when it comes from a semi intoxicated, part timer punter like myself.

    Although readers it should be noted that I did manage to get a lot of place getters on the day, a day which proved to be a VERY tough for the punters.

    Anyway it was a fun day despite my advice,

    Bring on the Melbourne Cup!!!

    Turnsie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suze: Of course i blamed Turnsie. I blame Turnsie for everything.

    Turnsie: Keep battling. And prepare yourself for Shady Pines Round Two.

    ReplyDelete