Thursday, June 16, 2011

An unexpected visitor in my bed

Not THAT type of visitor, get yer minds out of the gutter.


So. A long weekend just gone and I'll be honest, it was pretty crap. The weather, for a start, did not cooperate. It was rainy and windy and disgusting, and frankly i didn't want to leave the house. Jo was away in New Zealand for his birthday - by the way, Happy Birthday Jo! - and things weren't much better over there. Apart from the blistering cold, he had earthquakes and volcanic ash to deal with, so i suppose in comparison, my weekend was a piece of cake.


Still, there was some drama. Imagine my surprise when i heard a banging on the door at 4 in the morning. I thought i was dreaming actually, but the banging was incessant and i realised no, it was for reals. I went to the door and the long and the short of it was that someone needed to watch Jack for the rest of the night. And that someone was me.


"Err, should i come to your place...?" I asked, bleary-eyed and still somewhat confused.

"Oh no, don't worry. He's asleep. Just stick him in your bed."

"Err....OK...."


Before i had time to blink he was unceremoniously dumped in Jo's usual place, and I was lying awake in the dark coming to terms with the fact that i wouldn't be going back to sleep any time soon, no matter how desperately i wanted to.


And it wasn't because i was worried about squashing him, by the way. No no, i would have happily fallen back asleep if it wasn't for his CONSTANT MOVEMENT. Arms everywhere, legs kicking me, tossing and turning, and the coughing, MY GOD THE COUGHING. How he didn't wake himself up, I'll never know. Don't be fooled by this sweet face:






...because I'm telling you, the kid did NOT stop moving. Next thing i knew it was 7am and he was awake. He looked up and quickly realised he wasn't in Kansas anymore. Then he saw me - and started giggling.


"Am i really here?" was his first question, followed up with "Where's Jo sleeping?"


I confirmed he was, indeed, in my bed, and that we were having a sleep-over. Jo, thankfully, was back home with his mummy and daddy. Three in a bed just doesn't do it for me.


"Did my Mummy say I was allowed to be here?" he asked (concerned for himself, not for me by the way.)


"Oh yes, she said it was OK."


"Are you sure? Did she say it?" I had to laugh. What did he think, that i snuck over and plucked him from his bed to come spend the night?


"Of course I'm sure. Its totally fine."


He wanted to watch cartoons after that, "Together, you can be under the blankets with me," (oh, the generosity). I haven't watched kids cartoons in the morning for ages - obviously my preference is not to be awake before noon on the weekend - but let me tell you, they pump those ads towards the kiddies alright. Every single toy imaginable was advertised, and i endured countless rounds of "Can you buy me that? Can you buy me that?" And sometimes specifics like "I want the blue one not the red one."


I agreed to it all of course, with no intention of following through.





Apart from that excitement, and in between worrying about Jo not getting home from NZ due to Chilean volcanic ash (WHAT?) or being crushed in yet another Christchurch earthquake, I mainly stuck to the house. Maria and I decided we would make Jo a birthday cake (because if we made a cake, he surely had to make it home to eat it right?).


I wanted to lick the spoon, but Jack got to it first, little sneak.





It was a good thing we made the damn thing though, because he DID make it home in the end - thanks to Virgin, who still decided to fly, hurrah! I'm thrilled he didn't book his flights with Jetstar, or else he'd still be there. I must say, i feel awfully sorry for everyone still stuck waiting at the airport - especially if they have husbands or children they want to get home to, poor things.


In other news, i have a cold and I'm sick of the rain. Come back sunshine!! I miss you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment