Thursday, September 24, 2009

A spot of dust

First of all, i better holla to my bestie Faatasi, who turn 28 today! Happy Birthday sweets, hope you had a great day and enjoyed your maccas feast. Jealous.



Last night's thievery totally overshadowed the amazing dust storm that swept through NSW yesterday - don't know about you, but i enjoyed a taste of the apocalypse. So now we all know what it would be like to live Mars i suppose. The TV stations enjoyed it though. Whenever Channel 9 went to an ad break it played either 'I See Red' or 'No Air'. Hilarious.



Anyway, here are some pics Jo took from the apartment...






And here are some i shamelessly stole from the papers, just to in case you missed the on-the-hour, its-all-we're-going-to-talk-about-all-day coverage yesterday...




Speaking of the apocalypse, now that I've finished Harry Potter (cried in book 7. it's true. couldn't help myself.), I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy - and it's pretty damn gripping. It's a post-apocalyptic story that imagines civilisation has been virtually wiped out by an unknown force, the planet's landscape now ravaged, burnt and bare, with few survivors. It follows a father and son, who are trying to make their way south to the coast, and flashes back to moments just prior to and initially after this cataclysmic event that has wiped the the world out. Sound scary? It is actually, and i can't put it down. What an amazing writer, his descriptions are haunting and sparse, exactly suited to the themes in the book. He won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction for this one, and no surprises there.



I'm going to end by saying...GO THE DOGS TOMORROW!!! DOWN WITH YOU, EVIL EELS!! *cheers on the bulldogs in tomorrows footy match*

2 comments:

  1. Ah hello, I thought we were working along the lines of "A lady does not reveal her age"

    And then I see it.

    28.

    OMG. I'm getting older and I still haven't been crowned the next Australian Idol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, you ain't the only one getting older. My birthday is right around the corner. The day i turn 30 will be a dark day indeed. I hope you will be a true friend and get me so drunk that i won't remember it.

    Eternal youth will one day be ours, don't worry.

    ReplyDelete