Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The girl with 16 rolls

Of toilet paper that is. That was me today. Hauling my toilet paper back home on the train. Toilet paper, i don't mind saying, that i was bullied and harassed into buying by Leah because it was the best value buy in the whole store.




I protested that i would have to carry all 16 rolls back home - and no one wants to sit next to the girl on the train who buys toilet paper in bulk. "But you'll never run out!" she said, and in hindsight she was almost too gleeful about the whole thing. "You can do without other stuff," she continued wisely, "but if it's one thing you don't want to run out of in a hurricane, it's toilet paper."




Cause it is the season for hurricanes after all.




I knew I'd regret it, but all the other shoppers were staring at us arguing, so i just grabbed the thing and headed for the checkout. My only joy was watching Leah carry it all the way back to work - "And I'm not embarrassed," she said loudly, "because I've scored a bargain, and we all use it after all." Right.




"I suppose i do like to use toilet paper liberally," i said half-heartedly. "And i know this about you," she said, pointing her finger into my face assuredly, "which is why i encouraged this purchase."




Yep. What a mate.




Anyway, me and my 16 rolls made it back home in one piece, though not before having to explain myself to several of my colleagues. "Do you know how much toilet paper is normally? No? Well let me tell you, this was a bargain. A real steal. You should go get yourself some. These sorts of prices won't last."




Last night, Kat and I went to see the movie Bright Star, which is Jane Campion's (she made The Piano) latest venture. It's about the poet John Keats, and his love affair with Fanny Brawne, the love of his short life. 'Bright Star' was just one of the many poems he wrote for and about her. It was an exquisite film, and i use that word because every frame was so carefully constructed - every colour, every movement, every fabric seemed to be a feast for the eyes. His poetry was woven throughout the story, which was tragic, of course, as all the best love affairs are, and the acting was amazing too. There were times you literally felt your heart leap at their joy or break at their sorrow. Highly recommended, but take tissues - I don't think Kat and I breathed almost the entire last scene, except maybe to sob a moment here or there.




On Sunday, we went to see Maria, Peter and Jack. Jack was completely tuckered out by his day at the beach...







But we still went down for a gelato after dinner, and it was the perfect evening for it - balmy, but a nice breeze. Jo took some great snaps!





No comments:

Post a Comment